What's The Priority in Payment Featured

If you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident and suffered catastrophic or severe injuries and impairments, then regardless of whether you were at-fault or not, you may be entitled to Statutory Accident Benefits to pay for your health costs, which are not covered by OHIP or the government, and assistance with your income related expenses.

If you want to know more about what to do immediately after you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident, as well as how to kickstart the Accident Benefits Application process, then click these two “links” to read my blogs entitled “What To Do After a Car Accident in Ontario?” and “How to Get Your Accident Benefits Application Started”, respectively.

Priority of Payments

When you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident as a direct result of the negligence of another driver, there exists a priority of payment for your health care services.

Priority Number 1: Ministry Programs

You first have to access ministry programs, which are inclusive of OHIP services and professional services arranged or provided through your local Community Care Access Centres (CCACs), such as nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, social work and nutritional services (subject to eligibility and maximum amounts payable), as well as long-term care homes or other third-party agencies funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.

Priority Number 2: Supplementary Health/Disability Insurer & Private Employer Plan

Secondly, you have to access your private supplementary health and disability insurer and private employer plans.

Priority Number 3: Automobile Insurer

Thirdly, you have to access your statutory accident benefits, which are available through your own automobile insurance policy.

Priority Number 4: Third Party Insurer of Negligent Defendant in Tort Action

Fourthly, you have to access any money awarded to you in a tort action or lawsuit, which is paid by the at-fault, negligent driver’s automobile insurance policy.

Priority Number 5: Provincial Government Plans

Fifthly, you have to access your provincial government plans are the last payer for: (1) non-professional services arranged or provided through CCACs, such as personal support and homemaking services, attendant care services; and (2) all services and benefits such as vocational rehabilitation and welfare payments, administered by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

I hope you found this information valuable. Rudder Law Group’s website is your one-stop source for answers to all of your legal questions concerning catastrophic impairment law and personal injury law.